Friday, December 14, 2007

Dutch oven Pheasant

My wife pulled out of the freezer 2 nights ago, a Pheasant a friend gave us from a recent hunt, with a warning of bird shot possibly in some of the meat. She wanted me to cook the Pheasant tonight for dinner and later told me she was inviting friends over. "Now, that's a problem honey, a Pheasant has enough meat for 3 or 4 people and now I must make it feed 9?" She told me she trusted me and knew I could figure it out. I did and here's what I did. BOY IT WAS GOOD!!!

2 onions, peeled and quartered
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2 apples, cored and cut into eights
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/8 cup dried blueberries
1 banana, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
6 slices bacon
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
1/2 c. chicken broth
1/2 pomegranate, seeds removed

In a 12" Dutch oven, place the onions and carrots in the bottom. Stuff the cavity of the bird with one apple and all the berries. Chunk the remaining apple and place it with the onions and carrots. Place the stuffed bird in the center of the Dutch oven on top the vegetables. Put some of the pomegranate seeds in the cavity of the bird and rub 1/4 of pomegranate all over the skin of the bird. Place 1/2 banana on each side of the breast over the wings and legs to hold the banana on the bird. Cover with 4 pieces of bacon side by side, lengthwise, covering the top of the bird. Cross the remaining 2 slices of bacon across the thighs. Sprinkle Italian seasoning all over bacon and vegis. Pour in chicken broth against a side of the oven, away from the bird. Cover and bake 90 minutes at 350 degrees F.

I also made rice pilaf, and dinner rolls to complete a dinner since the vegis cooked with the bird. Dessert was a fruit tart. Delish!

No comments: